Informations

Réno DD-303 - Histoire


Réno DD-303

Reno(DD-303 : dp. 1308; 1. 314'4"; né. 30'11", dr. 9'10", s. 33 kcpl. 122; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21 " tt.; cl. Clemson) Le premier Reno a été posé par la Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Californie, le 4 juillet 1918, lancé le 22 janvier 1919; parrainé par Mlle Kathryn Baldwin Anderson; et commandé le 23 juillet 1920. Attsehed à la Flotte Pacifique, Reno a opéré le long de la côte ouest jusqu'en janvier 1921 quand elle a rejoint d'autres unités de flotte dans une croisière à Valparaiso, Chili. Reprenant ses opérations sur la côte ouest à son retour, il s'étendait entre Washington et la Basse Californie, avec des trajets occasionnels vers Hawaï ou la zone du canal. Colombie-Britannique, pour participer aux célébrations du Jubilé de diamant canadien.Déclassé à San Diego le 18 janvier 1930, le Reno a été rayé de la liste de la Marine le 8 juillet 1930. Il a été gratté en 1931, en accord avec les termes du traité de Londres limitant la marine armement.


USS Reno (CL 96)

L'USS RENO était l'un des croiseurs légers de classe OAKLAND et le deuxième navire de la Marine à porter ce nom. Cependant, le premier RENO (DD 303) a été nommé en l'honneur de Walter E. Reno, tandis que CL 96 a été nommé en l'honneur de la ville du Nevada. Désarmé à Bremerton, Washington, en novembre 1946, le RENO a été reclassé CLAA 96 en mars 1949 mais est resté dans la flotte de réserve du Pacifique jusqu'à ce qu'il soit rayé de la liste de la Marine en mars 1959. Il a été vendu pour démolition en mars 1962.

Caractéristiques générales: Attribué : 1940
Quille posée : 1er août 1941
Lancé : 23 décembre 1942
Mise en service : 28 décembre 1943
Désarmé : 4 novembre 1946
Constructeur : Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, Californie.
Système de propulsion : turbines à engrenages, 75 000 shp
Hélices : deux
Longueur : 541,7 pieds (165,1 mètres)
Faisceau : 53,15 pieds (16,2 mètres)
Tirant d'eau : 20,7 pieds (6,3 mètres)
Déplacement : env. 8 340 tonnes à pleine charge
Vitesse : 32,5 nœuds
Avion : aucun
Armement : douze canons de 12,7 cm de calibre 5 pouces/38 dans six montures jumelées, des canons de 16 x 40 mm, des canons de 16 x 20 mm, huit tubes lance-torpilles
Équipage : 63 officiers et 785 enrôlés

Cette section contient les noms des marins qui ont servi à bord de l'USS RENO. Ce n'est pas une liste officielle mais contient les noms des marins qui ont soumis leurs informations.

L'USS RENO a été construit par Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, Californie, le 1er août 1941, lancé le 23 décembre 1942 parrainé par Mme August C. Frohlich et mis en service le 28 décembre 1943, commandé par le capitaine Ralph C. Alexander.

Après le shakedown au large de San Diego, le RENO a quitté San Francisco le 14 avril 1944 pour rejoindre la 5ème Flotte. En tant qu'unité active dans la Force opérationnelle 58 du vice-amiral Marc A. Mitscher, elle est d'abord entrée en contact avec l'ennemi en soutenant des frappes aériennes contre l'île de Marcus les 19 et 20 mai. Trois jours plus tard, elle a également soutenu les grèves sur Wake Island.

Au cours des mois de juin et juillet, le RENO a rejoint les porte-avions rapides lors d'attaques surprises contre Saipan, le 11 juin, l'île de Pagan, les 12 et 13 juin, et contre les îles Volcano et Bonin - Iwo Jima, Haha Jima et Chichi Jima - le 15 -16 juin. Trois jours plus tard, elle a aidé à repousser une tentative de force porteuse japonaise à grande échelle pour vaincre l'invasion alliée de Saipan lors de la bataille de la mer des Philippines.

Du 20 juin au 8 juillet, RENO participe aux opérations couvrant la prise de Saipan, puis couvre les débarquements sur Guam du 17 au 24 juillet et 2 jours plus tard, participe aux frappes contre les îles Palau du 26 au 29. Se balançant à nouveau vers le nord, une dernière frappe a été effectuée sur les îles Bonin les 4 et 5 août et le 7 septembre, le groupe opérationnel est retourné au Palaus.

En continuant vers l'ouest, le RENO a participé à des raids contre Mindanao et les îles Philippines adjacentes du 9 au 13 septembre, a soutenu l'invasion des Palaos du 15 au 20 septembre et les 21 et 22, a soutenu des frappes contre Manille et ses environs. Frappant Nansei Shoto le 8 octobre, le RENO, avec la TF 38, s'est approché plus près des îles natales du Japon que n'importe quelle autre unité majeure de la flotte américaine.

Au cours de la grève de 3 jours sur Formose du 12 au 14 octobre, RENO a abattu six avions ennemis. Au plus fort de la bataille, un avion lance-torpilles s'écrase et explose sur le pont principal arrière du RENO. Bien que Turret Six ait été partiellement neutralisé par l'explosion, le capitaine de la tourelle a réussi à maintenir son feu contre les avions et les navires attaquants.

Le 24 octobre, 4 jours après l'invasion initiale de Leyte, tout en soutenant des frappes aériennes contre la région de Luzon, la TF 38 a été soumise à une attaque aérienne à grande échelle par des avions terrestres de Clark Field. Le porte-avions léger PRINCETON (CVL 23) est percuté et contraint de se retirer du groupe opérationnel. RENO, affecté à la lutte contre les incendies et au personnel de secours, s'est approché cinq fois mais n'a pas pu rester à cause de la chaleur intense et de la fumée. Alors que RENO évacuait les blessés et tentait de maîtriser les incendies, le pont d'envol de PRINCETON écrasait l'un des supports de 40 mm de Reno. Les efforts pour sauver le porte-avions se sont poursuivis mais, après l'explosion de la zone de stockage des ogives de la torpille du PRINCETON, le RENO a reçu l'ordre de le couler. Le 25 octobre, après avoir rejoint la force opérationnelle, le RENO s'est dirigé vers le nord pour engager la force opérationnelle japonaise du nord qui se rapprochait de la bataille du cap Engaño - le dernier engagement de la bataille du golfe de Leyte.

Dans la nuit du 3 novembre, bien au large du détroit de San Bernardino, le RENO est torpillé à bâbord par le sous-marin japonais I-41. Remorqué 1 500 milles à Ulithi pour des réparations temporaires, il a ensuite fumé par ses propres moyens jusqu'à Charleston où il est entré dans le Navy Yard le 22 mars pour des réparations. Émergeant 7 mois plus tard, elle a fumé au Texas, puis de nouveau à Charleston pour l'ajout d'espaces de couchette. Elle s'est présentée pour le devoir "Magic-Carpet" et a fait deux courses au Havre, en France, et de retour avec les troupes de l'armée.

Au début de 1946, RENO a fumé pour Port Angeles, Washington, où elle a désarmé, le 4 novembre 1946 et est entrée dans la Flotte de Réserve Pacifique, amarrée à Bremerton. Reclassé CLAA 96, le 18 mars 1949, il est resté à Bremerton jusqu'à ce que son nom soit rayé de la liste de la Navy le 1er mars 1959 et sa carcasse a été vendue, le 22 mars 1962, à Coal Export Co., New York.


Réno DD-303 - Histoire

L'USS Reno, un destroyer de classe Clemson de 1190 tonnes construit à San Francisco, en Californie, a été mis en service en juillet 1920. Il a passé la majeure partie de sa carrière à opérer le long de la côte pacifique américaine, effectuant des croisières occasionnelles jusqu'au Chili, à Hawaï et dans le Caraïbes et ouest de l'Atlantique pour participer aux manœuvres de la flotte américaine. Après moins d'une décennie de service actif, le Reno a été désarmé en janvier 1930. Il a été mis au rebut en 1931.

L'USS Reno a été nommé en l'honneur du lieutenant-commandant Walter E. Reno (1881-1917), qui a perdu la vie alors qu'il commandait l'USS Chauncey (destroyer n° 3) en novembre 1917.

Cette page présente, ou fournit des liens vers, toutes les vues que nous avons liées à l'USS Reno (DD-303).

Si vous souhaitez des reproductions à plus haute résolution que les images numériques présentées ici, consultez : "Comment obtenir des reproductions photographiques."

Cliquez sur la petite photo pour afficher une vue plus grande de la même image.

Ancré dans le port de San Diego, Californie, vers 1920.
Photographié par le Pier Studio, San Diego.

Avec l'aimable autorisation de l'ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard, USNR, 1969.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 73 Ko 740 x 610 pixels

À San Diego, Californie, vers 1920.
Photographié par le Pier Studio, San Diego.

Avec l'aimable autorisation de l'ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard, USNR, 1969.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 75 Ko 740 x 510 pixels

Au mouillage, au début des années 1920.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 84 Ko 740 x 610 pixels

Photographié vers 1923-1930.

Photographie officielle de la marine américaine, maintenant dans les collections des Archives nationales.

Image en ligne : 57 Ko 740 x 600 pixels

Des reproductions de cette image peuvent également être disponibles via le système de reproduction photographique des Archives nationales.

En cours à Puget Sound, Washington, en route vers le chantier naval de Puget Sound, juillet 1927.
Photographié par Martin.

Photographie officielle de l'U.S. Navy, provenant des collections du Naval Historical Center.

Image en ligne : 85 Ko 740 x 610 pixels

En cours dans les années 1920.

Donation du Lieutenant Gustave Freret, USN (Retraité), 1972.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 44 Ko 740 x 300 pixels

Faire de la fumée pendant les exercices, vers 1923-1930.
Le navire au loin semble être l'USS Thompson (DD-305).

Avec l'aimable autorisation de Donald M. McPherson, 1969.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 61 Ko 740 x 475 pixels

Photographié vers 1923-1930.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 73 Ko 740 x 515 pixels

Dépouillé et en attente de démolition, à Alameda, Californie, 22 mars 1931.
Notez ses fesses fétides. Les protections d'hélice et les supports d'arbre d'hélice ont été découpés.

Avec l'aimable autorisation de Donald M. McPherson, 1970.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 57 Ko 740 x 490 pixels

La photographie suivante montre un navire qui PEUT être l'USS Reno (DD-303) :

Destroyer posant un écran de fumée , vers 1921

Ce navire est soit l'USS Stoddert (DD-302), soit l'USS Reno (DD-303).

Avec l'aimable autorisation de Donald M. McPherson, 1977.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 83 Ko 740 x 450 pixels

En plus des images présentées ci-dessus, les Archives nationales semblent détenir au moins une autre vue de l'USS Reno (DD-303). La liste suivante présente cette image :

L'image ci-dessous n'est PAS dans les collections du Naval Historical Center.
N'essayez PAS de l'obtenir en utilisant les procédures décrites dans notre page "Comment obtenir des reproductions photographiques".

Des reproductions de cette image doivent être disponibles via le système de reproduction photographique des Archives nationales pour les images non détenues par le Centre historique naval.


Réno DD-303 - Histoire

Cette page présente des vues supplémentaires liées à l'USS Reno (DD-303).

Si vous souhaitez des reproductions à plus haute résolution que les images numériques présentées ici, consultez : "Comment obtenir des reproductions photographiques."

Cliquez sur la petite photo pour afficher une vue plus grande de la même image.

Avertir! L'USS Reno (DD-303) est vu de loin, partiellement et/ou en arrière-plan sur de nombreuses photographies présentées ci-dessous. Examinez attentivement les images et lisez attentivement les légendes avant de sélectionner des vues pour la représenter.

Division des destroyers TRENTE-TROIS

Amarré ensemble au large de San Diego, Californie, le 16 avril 1921.
Photographié par le Pier Studio, San Diego.
Ces navires sont (de gauche à droite) :
USS Stoddert (DD-302)
USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307)
USS Reno (DD-303)
USS Kennedy (DD-306)
USS Thompson (DD-305) et
USS Farquhar (DD-304)

Avec l'aimable autorisation de l'ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard, USNR, 1969.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 75 Ko 740 x 480 pixels

Division des destroyers TRENTE-TROIS

Amarré au large de San Diego, en Californie.
Probablement photographié par le Pier Studio, San Diego, le 16 avril 1921.
Ces navires sont (de gauche à droite) :
USS Stoddert (DD-302)
USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307)
USS Reno (DD-303)
USS Kennedy (DD-306)
USS Thompson (DD-305) et
USS Farquhar (DD-304)

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 75 Ko 740 x 600 pixels

USS Kanawha (AO-1) avec treize destroyers à ses côtés, au large de San Diego, en Californie, au début des années 1920.
Photographié par Bunnell, 414 E Street, San Diego.
Les navires présents sont identifiés sur la photo # NH 98029 (légende complète).
Collection du quartier-maître en chef John Harold, USN.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 86 Ko 740 x 465 pixels

Avec douze destroyers amarrés à côté, au début des années 1920. Les navires présents comprennent (de gauche à droite) :
USS Jacob Jones (DD-130)
USS Coque (DD-330)
USS Thompson (DD-305)
USS Corry (DD-334)
USS Kennedy (DD-306)
USS Reno (DD-303)
USS Cuyama (AO-3
USS Stoddert (DD-302)
USS Yarborough (DD-314)
USS Sloat (DD-316)
USS Litchfield (DD-336)
USS Shubrick (DD-268)
USS Young (DD-312)

Avec l'aimable autorisation de Mme C.R. DeSpain, 1973. À partir des albums de Fred M. Butler.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 70 Ko 740 x 490 pixels

"Flottes combinées de l'Atlantique et du Pacifique dans la baie de Panama, le 21 janvier 1921"

Section gauche (sur trois) d'une photographie panoramique prise par M.C. Mayberry, de Mayberry et Smith, Shreveport, Louisiane. Les autres vues de la série sont les numéros de photo : NH 86082-B et NH 86082-C.
Parmi les navires présents dans cette image sont (de gauche à droite) : USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307), USS Farquhar (DD-304), USS Simpson (DD-221), USS Thompson (DD-305), USS Parrott (DD-218), USS Reno (DD-303), USS Dorsey (DD-117), USS Dent (DD-116) et USS Waters (DD-115).
Les destroyers chiliens sont au centre.

Avec l'aimable autorisation de la Naval Historical Foundation, D.H. Criswell Collection.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 47 Ko 740 x 340 pixels

Dans le port de San Diego, Californie, vers le début des années 1920.
L'USS Reno (DD-303) est à la bonne distance, et la proue de l'USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307) est visible à gauche.
Probablement photographié par le Pier Studio, San Diego.

Avec l'aimable autorisation de l'ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard, USNR, 1969.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 70 Ko 740 x 550 pixels

Chantier naval de Puget Sound, Bremerton, Washington

Destroyers et autres navires au Navy Yard, 11 janvier 1922.
Les navires identifiables comprennent (de l'avant vers l'arrière) :
USS McLanahan (DD-264)
USS Thompson (DD-305)
USS Reno (DD-303)
USS Kennedy (DD-306)
USS New York (BB-34) et
USS Texas (BB-35.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 104 Ko 740 x 595 pixels

En cale sèche au New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, New York, vers octobre-novembre 1923.
La proue de l'USS Reno (DD-303) est visible à droite.
Notez les supports de grenade sous-marine et les protections d'hélice de Litchfield.

Avec l'aimable autorisation de l'ESKC Joseph L. Aguillard, USNR, 1969.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 89 Ko 740 x 455 pixels

Au large d'Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaï, au milieu des années 1920.
Les destroyers présents comprennent :
USS Farquhar (DD-304), à gauche
USS Reno (DD-303), centre
USS William Jones (DD-308), centre droit
et USS Hull (DD-330).
Photographié par le Shura Studio, Honolulu.

Avec l'aimable autorisation de Charles Sass, 1979.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 61 Ko 740 x 450 pixels

Île de Culebra, Porto Rico

Destroyers au mouillage dans la baie de Culebra, dans les années 1920.
Les navires identifiables présents comprennent :
USS Somers (DD-301), à droite
USS Reno (DD-303), à gauche
USS Henshaw (DD-278), centre gauche
USS Flusser (DD-289), au-delà de Henshaw
USS Sinclair (DD-275), centre.

Collection de l'amiral Arleigh A. Burke, USN.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 47 Ko 740 x 450 pixels

USS Reno (DD-303) (à gauche)
et
USS Farragut (DD-300) (à droite)

Au large de l'une des îles hawaïennes, vers 1925.

Photographie de l'album photo d'Albert Chamberlain, donné par le colonel Carl Mahakian, USMCR, 1975.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 66 Ko 740 x 515 pixels

Vue du Navy Liberty Dock à "Frisco", vers 1926.
Les bateaux présents proviennent de l'USS Melville (AD-2), de l'USS Maryland (BB-46) et de l'USS Reno (DD-303).
Photographié par Gustave Freret.

Donation du Lieutenant Gustave Freret, USN (Retraité), 1972.

Photographie du centre historique de la marine américaine.

Image en ligne : 98 Ko 740 x 460 pixels

Une autre photographie connexe : La proue de l'USS Reno (DD-303) est visible de loin sur la photo # NH 77259, une vue d'un autre sujet.


Réno DD-303 - Histoire

Histoire de l'USS Aroostook (CM-3)

UN PEU D'HISTOIRE : ". 02DEC30 : L'hydravion Aroostook (CM-3), un escadron utilitaire et deux escadrons de patrouille de la Battle Fleet se rapporta au Commandant de la Force de Base, fournissant ainsi à ce commandement sa première organisation aéronautique. " http: //www.history.navy.mil/branches/avchr4.htm [02JAN2001]

UN PEU D'HISTOIRE : Aroostook (CM-3) ". USS AROOSTOOK (CM 3) s'occupant d'avions à la fin des années 1920. La photo provient des Archives nationales. " Contribution de Mahlon K. Miller mkwsmil& #108er@cox.net [19MAR2001]

(Str: dp. 3.800 l. 395'0" b. 52'2" dr. 16' (moyenne) s. 20.0 k. cpl. 313 a. 1 5", 2 3", 2 .30-cal. Colt mg. cl. Aroostook)

Le deuxième Aroostook a été construit à l'origine en tant que navire à vapeur à passagers Bunker Hill par le chantier naval William Cramp and Sons à Philadelphie. Elle a été lancée le 26 mars 1907 et parrainée par Miss Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald, fille du maire de Boston. Bunker Hill a été inspecté par la Marine le 2 novembre 1917 pour une éventuelle utilisation comme navire à vapeur pour le transport de passagers et de marchandises. Acquis par la Marine de l'Eastern Steamship Lines, de Boston, le 12 novembre 1917, Bunker Hill a été rebaptisé Aroostook dans l'ordre général n° 343 du 15 novembre 1917, et a reçu le numéro d'identification (Id. No.) 1256. Aroostook a été commandé au Boston Navy Yard le 7 décembre 1917, le Comdr. James H. Tomb aux commandes.

Au fur et à mesure que l'équipage du navire était organisé et assemblé, la conversion du navire en « planteur de mines » avançait rapidement. Lors du retrait de la superstructure en bois de l'ancien navire de croisière, l'équipage organisé par le Comdr. Tombée dans des « gangs » industriels de riveteuses, calfats, monteurs de navires et charpentiers, elle était dispersée dans les espaces disponibles dans les ateliers de triage et subsistait sur d'autres navires, tous les travaux sur le navire étant effectués malgré un hiver rigoureux. En fin de compte, son équipage a été transféré sur une barge-hôpital à proximité où ils ont vécu jusqu'à ce qu'un logement puisse être trouvé à bord. Les officiers du navire, entre-temps, s'installèrent dans la superstructure qui avait été retirée du navire.

Aroostook a effectué un bref essai dans la baie du Massachusetts du 6 au 10 juin, arrivant dans le port de Boston le 10 juin 1918 pour charger des mines. Passant au large de Cape Cod le lendemain, il s'embarqua pour l'Écosse le 12 juin, en compagnie de Shawmut, du planteur de mines Saranac (Id. No. 1702) et du tender Black Hawk (Id. No. 2140).

Avant le départ de ces navires, des inquiétudes avaient surgi quant aux capacités de carburant d'Aroostook et de Shawmut, car leurs essais abrégés au large de Provincetown avaient révélé qu'ils consommaient du carburant à un taux plus élevé que prévu. Confronté à un retard indéfini, le capitaine Wat T. Cluverius et le Comdr. Roscoe Bulmer a conçu un plan pour ravitailler les navires en mer à partir de Black Hawk. Ils se sont procuré suffisamment de tuyaux d'huile pour le faire, et les navires ont tous navigué en conséquence.

Les deux ravitaillements en mer - le premier considéré comme une « nouvelle entreprise » et réalisé malgré un coup de vent - ont été effectués avec succès et les navires sont arrivés sans autre incident. Aroostook a atteint sa destination Cromarty Firth, le 28 juin. Elle s'est rendue dans les champs de mines de la mer du Nord, où elle est arrivée pour prendre ses fonctions de planteuse de mines, le 16 juillet, attachée à l'escadron de mines 1. Le 30 septembre 1918, pendant ses trois mois dans les eaux européennes, Aroostook avait planté 2 510 mines parcourant 4 066 milles lors de ses « excursions » minières dans la mer du Nord.

L'armistice qui a immobilisé les canons sur le front occidental signifiait l'arrêt des opérations minières. Sa tâche accomplie, l'Aroostook quitta Portland, en Angleterre, le 14 décembre 1918, pour les États-Unis, en compagnie de Shawmut, et arriva à Hampton Roads deux jours après Noël. Le jour suivant, elle a déchargé sa cargaison de mines sur des barges dans la rivière York. Aroostook est resté dans la région de Hampton Roads en 1919, transférant des mines et transportant des mines expérimentales du planteur de mines Baltimore au dépôt minier de Yorktown, en Virginie.

L'Aroostook a été placé dans le Norfolk Navy Yard le 1er avril 1919 pour des modifications afin de l'équiper afin de servir de navire de base pour les hydravions NC destinés à tenter un vol transatlantique. Elle a reçu des réservoirs pour 5 000 gallons d'essence, des berceaux pour gérer deux petits hydravions Curtiss MF et des modifications à ses espaces d'amarrage et de mess pour lui permettre d'accueillir les hommes nécessaires pour entretenir les hydravions. En route pour New York le 9 avril, Aroostook est arrivé à North River le matin du 10, pour embarquer des "magasins d'avions" supplémentaires et des fournitures pour le vol à venir. Il s'embarqua pour Trepassey Bay, Terre-Neuve, le matin du 27 avril 1919.

Après avoir jeté l'ancre brièvement au large de Miquelon, l'Aroostook a pénétré dans la baie de Trepassey le 2 mai, rejoint peu après par d'autres navires affectés à l'appui du vol NC. Aroostook a terminé la tâche d'ancrer les amarres d'hydravions le 3 mai et, les 5 et 6 mai, a tenté d'aider le pétrolier Hisko (Id. No. 1953) - qui était arrivé le 3 mai - au large de la plage où il s'était échoué. .

Aroostook a commencé à s'occuper des bateaux NC le 10 mai, avec l'arrivée des NC-1 et NC-3. Le NC-4 est arrivé dans l'après-midi du 15, et amarré à l'arrière du navire, le dernier de la division NC à avoir fait port avant le début du vol. Tard dans l'après-midi suivant, le 16 mai, les équipages des grands hydravions se sont rassemblés à l'arrière à bord d'Aroostook, où le commandant de bord, le Comdr. John H. Towers, a remercié le capitaine Tomb pour l'hospitalité de son navire. Tomb a parié avec bonhomie à Towers que son navire atteindrait Plymouth, en Angleterre, avant l'arrivée des hydravions.

Peu de temps après, les équipages ont piloté les trois grands hydravions et ont démarré leurs moteurs. NC-4, commandé par le lieutenant Comdr. Albert C. Read, à l'est de la poupe d'Aroostook et a décollé un peu plus d'une heure plus tard, suivant le NC-3 de Towers et précédant le Lt. Comdr. NC-1 de P. N. L. Bellinger.

Après avoir fait le plein d'Hisko, l'Aroostook récupère les amarres d'hydravions qu'il avait posées près de deux semaines auparavant et sort du port de Trepassey le matin du 17 mai, à destination de Plymouth. Il arriva le 23, pour attendre l'arrivée des hydravions. En fin de compte, seul le NC-4 a terminé le vol - le NC-1 et le NC-3 ont tous deux été forcés de descendre en mer et leurs équipages ont été secourus par des navires de passage - arrivant en vue des guetteurs d'Aroostook à 14 h 20 le 31 mai. L'hydravion a touché le sol huit minutes plus tard, et son équipage a embarqué à bord d'Aroostook « pour les quartiers et la subsistance » à 15 h.

Après avoir démonté le NC-4, Aroostook a embarqué les moteurs, la coque et les ailes à des jours différents, achevant le processus le 17 juin. Le lendemain, le navire a navigué vers les Açores, atteignant Ponta Delaada le 23 juin. Elle a ensuite poursuivi son voyage vers les États-Unis, atteignant New York le 2 juillet 1919. Après avoir fait le plein, pris de l'eau et des provisions, et subi des réparations pendant le voyage à Brooklyn, le navire s'est rendu à Newport, RI, le 15 juillet, et y est resté, en attente d'ordres, jusqu'au 23d.

Aroostook est sorti du port de Newport le 23 juillet et a fumé jusqu'à Hampton Roads, arrivant le jour suivant. Elle a transporté alors un projet d'hommes à Portsmouth, Virginie, le 31 juillet et a pris des approvisionnements avant de passer à Portsmouth pour charger des mines et plus d'approvisionnements, en complétant le chargement avant le 7 août. Après une période de récréation et de liberté pour son équipage, Aroostook a navigué pour la Zone de Canal de Colon Panama, le 12 août. Elle a atteint sa destination le 18 août et a transité le Canal de Panama le jour suivant.

En prenant par la suite le carburant de Salina Cruz, Mexique, le 26, elle a atteint San Diego le 1er septembre. Le 10 septembre, elle s'est rendue au Mare Island Navy Yard, en arrivant le jour suivant pour décharger les mines apportées de Hampton Roads. Elle est revenue à San Diego le 22 septembre pour lancer des barges d'aviation et du 24 septembre à la deuxième semaine de décembre 1919, est restée à San Diego, en attendant des ordres et en subissant la révision de machines.

En partant de San Diego le 13 décembre, Aroostook a fumé à l'Île de Mare, en arrivant le jour suivant et a embarqué là un projet d'hommes pour le transport à San Diego. En route le 17, il est revenu à San Diego le 18.

L'Aroostook avait été l'un des deux navires du détachement des mines (l'autre étant le Baltimore) qui avait accompagné la flotte dans le Pacifique en 1919-1920 immédiatement après son arrivée dans le Pacifique. Détachement aérien, Flotte du Pacifique.

Du 18 décembre 1919 au 16 février 1920, Aroostook a opéré à partir de San Diego et, au cours des mois suivants, s'est occupé d'unités d'aviation à San Diego, Santa Barbara et San Pedro jusqu'au 14 juin, date à laquelle elle s'est rendue à San Diego pour une révision des machines, un de là jusqu'au chantier naval de Mare Island. Au début de cette période de disponibilité, le navire a reçu la désignation de coque alphanumérique CM-3.

Affecté à la flotte du Pacifique comme offre d'avions, Aroostook-sous le commandement du capitaine Henry C. Mustin, l'un des pionniers de l'aviation navale-a navigué pour Sausalito, Californie, le 14 août 1920, et de là à San Diego, arrivant sur le 19ème. Le navire a embarqué dix hydravions et a participé à des exercices tactiques avec la flotte dans les eaux au large des côtes du sud de la Californie jusqu'à l'automne 1920, après quoi il est descendu à Balboa, dans la zone du canal, pour poursuivre ses missions dans la même veine. L'Aroostook s'est ensuite rendu jusqu'à la baie de Magdalena, au Mexique, où il a poursuivi ses opérations de soutien avec les escadrons d'avions de la flotte du 31 décembre 1920 au 8 mars 1921, après quoi il est retourné à sa base de San Diego.

Descendant sur l'île de Guadalupe, au Mexique, Aroostook s'occupa des avions jusqu'à son retour à San Diego le 30 mai. Elle a opéré localement dans les eaux de la côte de Californie du sud jusqu'au juin de 1922, une période d'opérations actives ponctuées par l'entretien et les réparations à San Diego. Elle a opéré localement à la Naval Air Station (NAS), San Diego, pour le reste de 1922 et en 1923. Après une période de réparations à Mare Island, l'Aroostook a navigué pour San Diego le 28 novembre 1923.

Aroostook a navigué pour Panama peu de temps après, en compagnie de Jason (AV-2) et a soutenu les opérations aériennes dans les manœuvres hivernales annuelles de la flotte. Après des opérations locales de San Diego plus tard cette année-là, il est retourné dans les eaux panaméennes, c'est le moment pour Coco Solo, du côté atlantique du canal, d'assembler et d'exploiter des avions et de participer aux exercices d'hiver de la flotte. Toujours en 1924, le navire s'occupa du Scouting Squadron (VS) 2 à Sand Point, Washington, au cours d'un exercice de base avancé, cet été-là, et subit des réparations et des modifications au Mare Island Navy Yard jusqu'en novembre.

Le 27 avril 1925, l'Aroostook arriva dans les eaux hawaïennes et opéra avec la flotte hors de Pearl Harbor lors d'exercices tout l'été, à Lahaina Roads et à Nawiliwili, Kauai. Choisi comme l'un des navires de garde d'avion pour le vol côte ouest à Hawaï des hydravions PN-9 de la Marine (PN-9 No. 1 commandé par le Comdr. John Rodgers et PN-9 No. 3, commandé par le Lt. AP Snody), Aroostook a navigué pour la station "vice" le matin du 29 août 1925. Il a atteint sa station tard dans l'après-midi du 30.

Plus tôt ce même jour, Rodgers et Snody avaient décollé pour Hawaï depuis la baie de San Pablo, en Californie. Moins de cinq heures plus tard, cependant, une fuite d'huile a forcé le PN-9 n ° 3 de Snody à tomber. Tout n'allait pas bien non plus à bord de Rodgers, car il a constaté que la consommation d'essence à bord du PN-9 n ° 1 était de six gallons par heure supérieure à celle indiquée lors des vols d'essai. Avant que l'avion n'ait parcouru 1 200 milles, Rodgers a décidé qu'il devrait atterrir aux côtés de l'un des gardes de l'avion et faire le plein. Il pensa qu'il avait assez d'essence pour atteindre Aroostook à la station "vice".

La navigation à l'estime de Rodgers a montré qu'il se trouvait à quelques milles au nord de sa trajectoire projetée, mais les relèvements au compas radio d'Aroostook (erronés, il s'est avéré) indiquaient qu'il volait au sud de ce navire. En supposant que l'appel d'offres n'était pas sur sa propre station, il a tourné PN-9 No. 1 vers le nord pour la chercher. La présence de rafales de pluie dans la région augmente l'incertitude de Rodgers, l'essence de l'avion s'épuise et l'hydravion effectue un atterrissage forcé à 1615 le 1er septembre, 25 heures et 23 minutes après avoir décollé de la baie de San Pablo.

La disparition de l'hydravion a déclenché une recherche intensive, dirigée par le Comdr. W. R. Van Auken, commandant d'Aroostook. Langley (CV-1) a également participé, ses avions effectuant des recherches quotidiennes dans les eaux voisines, tandis que des sous-marins et des avions de patrouille volant depuis les îles hawaïennes se sont joints à l'effort pour trouver le PN-9 n ° 1.

Balayant le ciel avec son projecteur la nuit et postant des guetteurs supplémentaires à toute heure, l'Aroostook a recherché les aviateurs manquants jusqu'au 7 septembre, date à laquelle il est brièvement entré à Pearl Harbor pour prendre du carburant et de l'eau. Il se démarque le même jour pour reprendre les recherches, et rejoint Langley et les destroyers Reno (DD-303) et Farragut (DD-300). Finalement, cependant, le sous-marin R-4 (SS-81) a rencontré Rodgers et son intrépide équipage naviguant sur le PN-9 n ° 1 à dix milles de l'île de Kauai à 16 heures le 10 septembre, à environ 450 milles de l'endroit où l'hydravion était parti. vers le bas quand son carburant a manqué et les a sauvés.

Aroostook revint bientôt sur la côte ouest, transportant des hommes et du matériel pour le VS-2. Suite aux opérations locales de NAS, San Diego, le navire a subi d'autres travaux de révision à l'île de Mare à partir du 24 novembre 1925. Il a navigué pour les eaux panaméennes en mars suivant pour les manœuvres de la flotte de combat. En revenant à San Diego le 24 avril 1926, elle a servi d'offre intérimaire pour Langley pendant l'Exercice de la flotte n° 2 en juin. Opérant à San Diego pour le reste de l'année, elle a terminé l'année en s'occupant des hydravions du Torpedo Squadron (VT) 2. L'année suivante, 1927, Aroostook a opéré entre San Diego et Panama, effectuant des manœuvres avec la flotte et, à l'occasion , opérant à nouveau comme garde d'avion pour Langley. Le jour de la Marine 1927 (27 octobre), elle a visité San Francisco.

Après avoir mené des exercices tactiques avec la flotte en novembre et décembre 192-7, Aroostook a navigué pour Hawaï le printemps suivant. Au cours de cette période, elle a de nouveau gardé l'avion pour Langley. De retour à San Pedro le 23 juin, et de là à San Diego le même jour, le navire est resté à San Diego jusqu'à la mi-septembre, date à laquelle il est entré dans le Mare Island Navy Yard pour une révision. À la fin de cette période de réparations et de modifications, elle a navigué pour Panama, arrivant dans ces eaux le 27 janvier 1929. Elle y a servi comme garde d'avion pour le porte-avions Saratoga (CV-3) et a participé à des problèmes de flotte avec le Battle. Flotte dans la baie de Panama. Elle retourne à San Diego le 22 mars 1929.

Après avoir accompagné la flotte à Guantanamo Bay en mars 1930, il s'est rendu à Hampton Roads, puis a visité Washington, D.C. avant de retourner à Hampton Roads avec un parti du Congrès embarqué. Pendant que dans ces eaux, elle a servi de garde d'avion pour Lexington (CV-2). De retour à Washington le 23 mai, il a navigué deux jours plus tard pour les terrains de forage du Sud, revenant finalement à San Diego le 13 juin 1930 en compagnie de la Battleship Division 3 et en tant que garde d'avion pour Langley. Plus tard cette année-là, elle s'occupa des avions impliqués dans le bombardement de navires cibles ex-Sloat (DD-316) et ex-Marcus (DD-321) et inspecta des cibles. Le 2 décembre 1930, Aroostook, avec un escadron de services publics et deux escadrons de patrouille, se rendit au service avec le commandant de la force de base, fournissant à ce commandement sa première organisation d'aviation. Elle a terminé l'année en s'occupant des avions de l'escadron de patrouille (VP) 7B, participant à un problème de reconnaissance.

Désarmé au chantier naval de Puget Sound, le 10 mars 1931, l'Aroostook est resté inactif pendant les dix années suivantes. La Marine envisagea de réactiver le navire pour le service en tant que cargo en prenant la décision de le reclasser en AK-44 le 20 mai 1941, mais le trouva inadapté à cette tâche. Son nom a été rayé du registre des navires de la marine le 5 février 1943 et il a été transféré à la War Shipping Administration.

Emmené dans la zone de dépôt de la Commission maritime à Suisun Bay, en Californie, le navire, apparemment répertorié sous son ancien nom Bunker Hill, a été acquis par la Seven Seas Trading and Shipping Co., de Beverly Hills, en Californie, en 1947. Les nouveaux propriétaires l'ont baptisée Lux et ont converti la coque en un casino flottant pour être ancré en dehors de la limite des trois milles. Plusieurs grognements avec la justice et, finalement, la saisie du navire par les garde-côtes, ont cependant mis fin à cette phase colorée de sa carrière, et il a finalement été vendu à un démolisseur de navires en octobre 1947 pour être mis à la ferraille.


L'histoire secrète de Reno

Cet article a été publié le 26.04.18

À la frontière entre la Californie et le Nevada en 1938, le dirigeant syndical C.L. Adams (sur l'aile) a dirigé un contingent de travailleurs cherchant à soutenir les travailleurs du Nevada.

One day in March 1923, Reno’s postmaster heard from the U.S. Post Office in D.C. that Washoe County had a new fourth class post office at Diessner, a location of which no one in Reno had ever heard and could not find.

The same day, the Reno City Council dealt with park matters—an offer by S.H. Wheeler to donate to the city a block bounded by Crampton, Burns, Locust and Wilson streets for a park.

And Reno City Councilmember Roy Frisch proposed creation of a park in a rock quarry at Stewart and Wheeler streets.

After a day of searching, it was announced that Diessner had been located. It was 20 miles north of Vya and six miles south of the Oregon border. Then as now, there was great turnover in Nevada’s population, and residents did not always know the terrain.

Today there are homes, not a park, on the block Wheeler offered to the city. When given a choice between development or the good life, city officials, then as now, usually chose the former.

Frisch got le sien park—Stewart Park still exists. But Frisch himself later vanished, never to be seen again, a victim of the corruption that permeated life in Reno.

One thing we don’t have from that single day in 1923 is an instance of the city’s deep-seated racism. But we can be all but certain it manifested itself in some way that March day, because it was so woven into the town’s fabric. Reno was, after all, fertile ground for Klan organizers and saw a Klavern established a few months later.

There were no professional historians in Nevada until Russell Elliott in the 1950s. Until then, local history was written by local figures with a stake in the players. As a result, history arrived for later generations cleansed and sanitized. There was little of the bigotry, corruption and venality that accompanied the growth of the town.

Newspapers, first the Crescent, then—more permanently—the Gazette and Journal, tended to be community boosters, yet the seamy sides of the town come through clearly, so it’s difficult not to wonder what horrors they withheld for fear of driving off investors or tourists.

A 150th anniversary seems like a good time to reclaim some of this lost history, and learn from it.

When Nevada entered the union during the Civil War and until the 1890s, it was a Republican state. The party of Lincoln treated African Americans benevolently. When, in 1879, there was legislation in Congress proposing reservations for blacks, the Nevada State Journal mildly editorialized, “It lacks practicality.”

Blacks in Nevada were treated better than Asians or Native Americans, but it was only a matter of degree. Community benevolence fluctuated from hostility to gentility. Often blacks were objects of curiosity, as when in 1900 the Reno Gazette ran an article titled “The Negro in hot weather.”

African Americans tended to have a Reno of their own, as when they built a church on Bell Street in 1910. To be black in Reno meant to live apart from the other Reno.

Violence against blacks could be employed with impunity. In 1908, Tom Ramsey pistol whipped a black jockey who declined to race, nearly causing a riot.

In 1907, the McKissick Opera House played Under Southern Skies, a play about a “poor girl suspecting that there is a negro taint in her blood … [who] sacrifices herself for her family’s sake.”

In 1908, the Journal editorialized, “Haiti is a land of savage beasts.”

In 1909, the Reno Gazette warned “WHITE SUPREMACY GOING DOWN” about the lack of a white fighter to face African American champion Jack Johnson. When the Great White Hope fight was held in Reno the next year, a photograph of all the boxing champions attending the fight was taken. The reigning heavyweight champ who won the title again that day was excluded.

Even service to the country did not shield blacks. In 1943, the Reno USO Council held a meeting to decide what to do when the owner of a building rented for a USO center for African American soldiers canceled the rental agreement, returned the rent check, and told Mayor August Frohlich he had received complaints from other property owners. Later, at a meeting chaired by Frohlich, the problem of hotels and restaurants being unwilling to serve African Americans was discussed, with the possibility of moving Civilian Conservation Corps buildings to the city for black housing suggested, and local USO director Father Thomas Collins reported that a new site had been located at 221 Lake Street.

In 1946, instead of welcoming black veterans into a local chapter, the American Legion chartered a separate Reno post for African Americans.

In 1952, the Army announced that because Reno businesses refused to serve African American soldiers stationed at Stead Air Force Base, the Army was starting bus service between Stead and Sacramento for black soldiers to use for R&R.

The next year, Air Force officials, noting that there were no clubs in Reno admitting African Americans, urged the Reno city council to approve a liquor license for Theresa King, who wanted to operate King’s Lounge at 900 E. Commercial Row. A white physician, Dr. Morse Little, provided a character reference for Ms. King.

Reno clubs said they mostly integrated in 1960 after Gov. Grant Sawyer warned they would give the city a black eye during its role as host city for the 1960 Winter Olympics.

But what was reported to be Reno’s first sit-in was staged by African Americans a year later at the Overland Hotel’s café while elsewhere in the downtown the same day a picket line was thrown up at the Nevada Bank of Commerce.

In 1963, the Gazette ran a cartoon of Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) captioned “HIM AND HIS BIG MOUTH” and showing the boxer’s head made up mostly of mouth.

Marianne Reddick, owner of the Academy Personnel Agency said a local businessperson had chewed out one of her job counselors for sending a black applicant on a job referral, so she had “White Only” printed on work referrals.

Native Americans had seniority, but the example set by community leaders, including newspaper owners, had a lot to do with how Renoites treated tribal members. In 1891, when a group of representatives of eastern tribes came to Nevada to visit the Paiute prophet Wovoka, Reno’s Journal belittled them. In 1893, a group of Native Americans were sent to San Francisco to be “exhibited” at a fair. In 1911, Native American Jack Macini was hit by the Overland Limited, mangled, decapitated and killed—all of which was a source of amusement to the Gazette, which published a long supercilious story filled with disdain and a white person’s version of tribal lore—and elsewhere in the same edition there was a one-inch death notice on a second, apparently less interesting “buck Indian.”

Newspaper owners changed, and sometimes the attitude toward Native Americans changed with them, becoming more sympathetic if patronizing. The Journal in 1911: “It is a reproach on civilization that these young Indians should be in the condition of close cousins to savage wildcats.”

Tribal food was a regular grievance. Whites cut down pine nut trees, a regular part of the native diet, deeply angering tribes. Whites constantly complained about the tribes fishing—as they had done for centuries—from the Truckee River, named for a Piute leader. In 1900, the Journal bragged that its campaign against illegal fishing in the Truckee was making headway: “It is reported that a number of Indians have been infringing the law between here and Laughton’s [west of Reno] and it would be well if the offenders were captured and made an example of.” Tribal members were regularly arrested for selling trout in Reno.

At a Native American settlement on the east end of the Truckee Meadows, a store owned by George Moffit was blown up, killing him and injuring his wife and child.

In 1902, tribal leader Captain Jim wrote about the loss of tribal lands: “Now on account of not having homes the Washoe Indians wander from place to place and learn these destructive habits which the white people have introduced. … Some white men says that we have no business to drink whiskey if we know it to be dangerous, but they do the very same thing, yet they are supposed to be civilized men.”

If some whites reached out to them, officialdom was there to insist that tribal members be shunned. In 1914, Victor Catrini was convicted in Reno police court of associating with Native Americans. His sentence—leave Reno.

White officialdom seldom aided Indians, but in 1924 Indian police officer Sam Johns arrested Alex Jamison for selling denatured alcohol to Native Americans in the jungles along the Truckee River.

After World War II, Congress reacted to the uncomfortable parallels between German treatment of the Jews and U.S. treatment of the tribes by creating a Claims Commission. The Washo tribe filed a claim of $43,811,985.84 based on the 1862 value of Washo land, mineral, timber, fish and game rights, plus interest, all as a result of findings by professional assessors. Twenty-one années later, the Commission settled the case by paying $5,000,000 to the Washo.

In 1975, a Native American employee of the Washoe County School District accused the district of misusing federal funds earmarked for tribal education by “trying to eliminate us from the curriculum.”

In early Reno, the Chinese were known for excellent vegetables and as laundry operators. But as new arrivals, they were also identified as a threat to the jobs of whites.

In 1879, the Journal: “[U.S. Secretary of State William Evarts] having declared the influx of Chinese to this coast is ‘an invasion, not an immigration,’ it becomes the duty of every good citizen to expel the invaders.”

Two major efforts were undertaken by whites against the Chinese in Reno—the White Laundry and the burning of Chinatown.

Because the Chinese dominated the laundry business in Reno, white businesspeople met, formed a corporation, and pooled their money to build a White Laundry to try to drive the Chinese laundries out of business. On April 2, 1886, a ball was held in Reno to honor the anti-Chinese movement and celebrate the opening of the Reno Steam Laundry Association building. The next day, the Gazette editorialized that the laundry for whites—people, not linens—would be a test of whether white residents were willing to drop their patronage of Chinese laundries.

Arson was tried against Chinatown twice. In 1878, a Reno off-shoot of Denis Kearney’s racist San Francisco Workingman’s Party movement, responding to a construction contract going to a Chinese firm, burned most of Chinatown down. Its residents moved across the river and reestablished Chinatown there.

In 1908, city officials elicited a condemnation order against Chinatown from the city health board and again burned Chinatown down, leaving the inhabitants in the snow. Businesspeople who disliked publicity that might drive off industry or tourists could have read later reports in places like the Boston Transcript of the Chinese Benevolent Association of San Francisco wiring President Roosevelt asking him to help “right the wrongs suffered by the Chinese of Reno.”

Roosevelt was of no help on that matter, but not long after, when the Nevada Legislature caused an international incident, he summoned U.S. Senators Frank Newlands and George Nixon of Nevada and apparently asked the two Nevadans to lobby against an anti-Japanese measure—it described the Japanese as “parasites of the world” and also criticized Roosevelt—in the Nevada Legislature.

The power that the example of alleged adults can have was seen during this same period when a group of boys in Reno with a slingshot tormented a Japanese man named Hashamura. An article on the incident in the Goldfield Chronicle ran just beneath an article on plans for juvenile courts in Nevada.

During World War II, Nevada was nearly surrounded by states—Utah, Arizona, California, Idaho—that hosted internment camps for U.S. citizens. Why not Nevada? Because Gov. Ted Carville made clear to federal officials that he wanted no part of Japanese, even imprisoned ones. In 1943, he stopped 100 Japanese Americans evacuated from the West Coast from assisting Moapa farmers with their tomato crop.

In 1957, the City of Reno’s condemnation committee declared a Reno historic landmark, a Chinese joss house (house of worship) at First and Lake streets—one of the few remnants of the city’s rich Chinese heritage—to be unfit for use. It was removed.

Alcohol prohibition and hard times made a combustible combination in Nevada.

In the early 20th century, there was an influential reform group in Reno that did not want prizefighting and divorce to be the only things for which the city was known. They actually had a certain level of success promoting Reno as a health resort.

But organized vice was lucrative, and a wide open town eventually prevailed over civic betterment.

The open town policies of Mayor Edwin Roberts sent a message, and soon Reno became a fiefdom of gangster bosses—George Wingfield, William Graham, James McKay, Tex Hall. All enjoyed a patina of respectability because of their legal businesses while they ran a town that became a criminal mecca like Joplin or Chicago. Auto gangsters like Baby Face Nelson and the Barker gang found their way to Reno to cool off between crimes.

Unsurprisingly, prohibition officers were regularly caught in crime themselves, including state director John Donnelley.

Reno newspapers played the game and did nothing to disrupt the corruption, referring to Graham and McKay as “sportsmen.” The first Nevada Pulitzer Prize went to the Sacramento Bee in 1935 for an exposé of judicial affairs in Nevada. It was a novelist, Walter Van Tilburg Clark, who wrote what Reno newspapers at the time kept quiet, and Clark’s book, which referenced a Reno boss named “Nick Briasi,” told the tale in 1945:

Mr. Hazard told Briasi … a lot of things he must have been storing up for a long time. He mentioned a murder in Douglas Alley, a minister who had been forced to leave town because of a drunken speech the mayor had made from his pulpit, unexplained fires in out-of-town nightclubs, prohi raids from San Francisco that busted up some clubs, but never touched others, dope peddling that nobody could trace, even in a town as small as Reno, the finances of the red-light district. … “You push this, you two-bit, back alley Capone,” he yelled at Briasi, “And I’ll open it up if it costs me every nickel I’ve ever made.”

Graham, McKay, Hall and their cronies were immune in Nevada courts, but federal prosecutors eventually won convictions of them—but not of Wingfield. Roy Frisch was supposed to testify until he disappeared. When the gangsters were released from prison, they were welcomed back to Nevada with open arms.

Some later writers emphasized the colorful aspects of the corrupt town, never mentioning those who suffered at the hands of the crime lords, paying the price of graft and vice.

Workers were among the worst tormenters of Asians. But the time came when workers themselves suffered at the hands of Reno leaders. Labor troubles were common in the Depression. In the 1922 national railroad strike, Nevada Gov. Emmet Boyle set a terrible example by personally leading an attack on a group of pickets outside a Las Vegas Union Pacific stockade.

Ten years later, in 1932, contempt of court charges against two Culinary Union officials over picketing at Reno’s Monarch Café in spite of a restraining order obtained by the owners were dismissed, but an injunction against picketing was granted.

Then the Reno City Council got involved. The Culinary Workers Union pulled pickets off seven Reno restaurants after the Council enacted a picketing ban. It was an outrageous attack on free expression, but the law was used repeatedly over the years. In 1937, two labor union picketers were arrested and charged by city attorney Douglas Busey under the law. The next month, in heavily union Sparks, that City Council considered adopting a similar law, drawing the ire of local Machinists Union leader Philip Drury.

In 1938, law enforcement took sides in a labor dispute when Washoe County Sheriff Ray Root and a couple of hundred American Legion “deputies” tried to block solidarity pickets from California from entering Nevada to join local union members picketing Reno’s Isbell Construction at Verdi Glen. The Californians set up on the west side of the state line and picketed the state of Nevada, asking motorists not to enter the state. Police had obstructed the constitutional right of freedom of movement, specifically “right of free ingress into other States,” as the U.S. Supreme Court phrased it.

When Culinary Workers Union member Paula Day was arrested for violating Reno’s anti-picketing law in front of an East Commercial Row cafe in 1939, Busey tried unsuccessfully to get the issue to the Nevada Supreme Court for a ruling on the legality of the ordinance, but neither Day nor the Culinary attorney attended a hearing.

The use of the ordinance declined during the war years, and it was still on the books in the 1960s. A test case was sparked when American Federation of Casino and Gaming Employees representative Stanley Philipie picketed and leafleted in front of the Horseshoe Club in Reno. The Nevada Supreme Court overturned the arrest, saying expression can be regulated, “but it cannot be forbidden entirely.”

It is easy to say today’s Reno is not yesterday’s Reno. But this century and millennium began with an arson attack on a Reno synagogue. Picketers at the Reno census office were arrested four years after the city ordinance was overruled. Thirty thousand people signed a petition this very year calling for a University of Nevada, Reno student to be expelled for having an opinion and expressing it nonviolently.


Biography & Loss

Walter Elsworth Reno was born in Davis County, Iowa, on 3 October 1881. He entered the U.S. Naval Academy in 1901 and graduated in 1905. While a junior officer, Reno served primarily in battleships. He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in 1910 and during the next four years was stationed in the battleships New Jersey and Wisconsin. From early 1914 until early 1916 he was Officer in Charge at the Chicago, Illinois, Navy Recruiting Station.

Lieutenant Reno then went out to the Philippines, where he took command of the destroyer Chauncey. In the Summer of 1917, after United States had entered World War I, Reno brought his ship from the Far East to the European war zone. While on convoy escort duty west of Gibraltar during the night of 19 November 1917, Chauncey was rammed by a merchant steamer and sank, taking with her Lieutenant Commander Reno and twenty of his ship's officers and men.


Mục lục

Reno được đặt lườn vào ngày 4 tháng 7 năm 1918 tại xưởng tàu Union Iron Works của hãng Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation ở San Francisco, California. Nó được hạ thủy vào ngày 22 tháng 1 năm 1919, được đỡ đầu bởi cô Kathryn Baldwin Anderson, con gái Thống đốc California Alden Anderson [2] và được đưa ra hoạt động vào ngày 23 tháng 7 năm 1920. Mẹ của Thiếu tá Reno, bà L. D. Reno ở Eldon, Iowa, được mời đỡ đầu con tàu, nhưng đã từ chối vì lý do sức khỏe. Vợ góa của Thiếu tá Reno, bà Beatrice Tracy Reno, con gái của cựu Trợ lý bộ trưởng hải quân Frank Tracy, cũng từng được cân nhắc là người đỡ đầu cho con tàu. [3]

Được phân về Hạm đội Thái Bình Dương, Reno hoạt động dọc theo vùng bờ Tây Hoa Kỳ cho đến tháng 1 năm 1921, khi nó gia nhập các đơn vị khác của hạm đội trong một chuyến đi đến Valparaíso, Chile. Tiếp nối các hoạt động dọc theo vùng bờ Tây sau khi quay trở về, nó hoạt động giữa Washington và khu vực Nam California, thỉnh thoảng có những chuyến đi đến vùng quần đảo Hawaii hay vùng kênh đào Panama. Vào tháng 4 năm 1927, nó đi sang phía Đông đến tận vịnh Guantánamo, Cuba, và vào tháng 7 năm đó đã có mặt tại Prince Rupert, British Columbia tham dự lễ hội kỷ niệm 75 năm thành lập Canada.

Reno được cho xuất biên chế tại San Diego, California vào ngày 18 tháng 1 năm 1930. Tên nó được cho rút khỏi danh sách Đăng bạ Hải quân vào ngày 8 tháng 7 năm 1930 và nó bị tháo dỡ vào năm 1931 nhằm tuân thủ các điều khoản hạn chế vũ trang của Hiệp ước Hải quân London.


Histoire

The people that inhabited the Great Basin prior to the European invasion were the Numa or Numu (Northern Paiute), the Washeshu (Washoe), the Newe (Shoshone), and the Nuwuvi (Southern Paiute).

In each of these groups’ language, these names meant “The People.” Within these groups were bands of Indians who were often referred to with words that reflected where they lived or what they ate.

For example, the Agai Ticutta referred to the trout eaters near the Walker River or the Toi Ticutta referred to the tulle eaters near the Stillwater Marshes.

Today, The People continue to recognize their special place on Earth and all the life cycles. Traditionally, The People lived a well-planned, harmonious life which was predicated on their immediate surroundings and nature. Time could not be wasted. Knowing what the land would offer was a matter of survival, thus The People’s migration patterns were strategic and well-thought-out. The People followed the food and over thousands of years, each band evolved as an efficient, social and economic unit that could comfortably inhabit the land on which the People had been placed since time immemorial.

Living in cycles with the seasons, the Numu occupied the strip known as Western Nevada, Eastern Nevada, Eastern Oregon, and Southern Idaho. The Washeshu gathered annually at Lake Tahoe and dispersed for several hundred miles throughout the remainder of the year.

The Newe were found in what is today called Eastern Nevada, Utah, and Southern California.

The Nuwuvi inhabited the Colorado River Basin where they harvested corn, squash, wheat and beans.

To each group, the animals of the Great Basin gave insight to creation and wise guidance on how to live. Though each group spoke a different language Washoe, a Hokoan derivative the other dialects of the Uto-Aztecan origin they understood and respected the lifestyles of the other immediate groups and other tribes with whom they came in contact. In fact, much trade and commerce occurred among the original inhabitants of the entire continent. Conflicts occurred only when economic necessities forced a group to raid or confiscate the resources of another group.

Though The People consider that they have been here since time began, archeological evidence places the earliest residents of Nevada as living here about 10,000 years ago. In 1994, the Nevada State Museum carbon dated remains which were unearthed in 1940 near Fallon, Nev. According to modern science, the burial remains of “Spirit Cave Man” prove that he lived in the area over 9,400 years ago.

Because the Great Basin was one of the last major frontiers to be explored and settled by European-Americans, The People sustained their way-of-life and ethnic identity much longer than most Tribes in other parts of the country.

In fact, at first contact in what would become Nevada, hundreds of other Tribes were enduring the fourth major shift in U.S. Government policy toward American Indians. From 1492-1828, or during the Colonial Period, Indians were dealt with as sovereign nations. Many treaties and agreements were negotiated with France and England as these countries recognized that the Indians had their own form of government, their own leaders, and their own homelands.

Around 1830, the Spanish Trail opened in southern Nevada and explorers and trappers made their way into the arid landscape. In the beginning, many tribal groups were curious about these newcomers and The People attempted to establish relationships with them. Yet, as time went on it was difficult to maintain a friendly association as The People found it difficult to adapt to the disruption in their lives caused by these newcomers.

Although there is little written about Spaniards being in Washoe territory, there are some stories by the Washoe that suggest such an occurrence. The first written records of non-Indians in Washoe lands took place in 1826.

The Shoshone and Northern Paiute also encountered non-Indians about this time. Unfortunately, the explorers and the settlers did not understand the lifestyle of The People.

The non-Indians thought that The People wandered aimlessly from place to place, but these assumptions were completely wrong. As a matter of survival, the tribes followed seasonal, migratory patterns for hunting and gathering food and other materials needed for life in the Great Basin. While settlers saw the desert as rigid and desolated land, The People enjoyed the land’s abundant resources.

However, everything drastically changed in 1848 with the discovery of gold in California. Major changes were in store for The People and these changes, still impact the way The People live today. From 1778-1871 or during the Treaty Period, the U.S. government developed 370 treaties in an attempt to legally negotiate with Indian Tribes. During this era of nearly 100 years, these treaties often benefited those who were moving westward and not the tribes.

The only treaty to impact Great Basin Indians was the Treaty with the Western Shoshoni [sic]. This agreement of “Peace and Friendship” was ratified in 1866. By the middle of the 1800s, so many settlers inhabited the People’s land the Indians struggled to find food.

Within five years, close to 250,000 people made their way across Nevada, hunting and fishing and infringing on The People’s traditional homelands. This encroachment extremely limited and in some areas exhausted the food supply. Even the introduction of the horse to the Great Basin served as competition for food for the Indians.

Cultural clashes soon developed, too.

There was a significant difference in perspective regarding land occupation versus land ownership. The settlers believed in land ownership, meaning that once they chose an area in which to live, they tended to stay in that one location. Meanwhile, The People utilized the land seasonally and only occupied the area for a short term. As The People struggled to adapt, the federal government shifted its policy towards Indians again. The Indian Removal Act of 1830 halted any future treaties with Tribes and it gave Congress the authority to isolate the People in order to allow economic growth throughout the United States. This was done through the creation of reservations.

One of the main goals of reservations was to move The People to one central location and to provide them with a piece of land to cultivate.

Ultimately, the federal government believed that separating The People from the rest of its citizens would solve land disputes. The development and activation of reservations was a campaign promise of U.S. President Andrew Jackson and most of the land set aside was undesirable lands that the settlers did not want anyway. Some tribes and bands fought the process of removal and eventually, assimilation, but in doing so, the Tribes were perceived as hostile and uncivilized. It was during the Reservation Period that the President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln, allowed the Nevada territory to join the union. Without including the Great Basin Native Americans in the count, Nevada’s population did not meet the federal requirements for becoming a state. However, on October 31, 1864, President Lincoln proclaimed Nevada as the 36th state.

Soon thereafter, the Moapa River Paiute Reservation and then the Walker River Paiute Indian Reservation were each established by executive order in 1873. Back in 1859, the Department of Interior had recommended that land be set aside for Indian use north of the Truckee River and including Pyramid Lake. Though an executive order was issued in 1874 to establish the Pyramid Lake Reservation, the legal year of establishment is 1859.

In 1871, the Indian Appropriations Act gave the U.S. Congress exclusive right and power to regulate trade and affairs with the Indian tribes and the U.S. Supreme Court legally designated Indians as domestic dependent nations and wards of the federal government. This jarring shift in policy toward Indians meant more federal control over The People.

From 1887-1934, the U.S. federal government began its Allotment and Assimilation plan for dealing with the Indians. These policies closely resembled the European model of land ownership with an ultimate goal on pushing The People to become part of white society. In doing so, not only did the government take additional land from tribes, but it attempted to erase reservation boundaries and force Indians into society at large.

The Dawes Act divided tribal land into individual parcels and halted communal land use which paralleled traditional native life styles. The vast majority of Indians lands taken through the Dawes Act were not just used for new settlements, but for railroads, mining and forestry industries.

In addition, the Allotment and Assimilation Period called for Indians to be educated in boarding schools operated by the government. Indian children were often taken from their families and made to attending these military-like institutions, hundreds of miles away from their families.

As a result of the allotment system, nationwide, Indian territory was reduced from 138 million acres to only 48 million acres. Along with the devastating loss of their land, The People’s fundamental structure for Tribal life was destroyed, too. Another major shift in federal policy happened after a U.S. government commissioned study evaluated the conditions of Indian communities.

In stunning details, the Meriam Report outlined the ineffectiveness of the Dawes Act as it found that the overwhelming majority of Indian people were extremely poor, in bad health, living in primitive dwellings, and without adequate employment.

The Meriam Report blamed the hardships that the Indians faced on the encroachment of white civilization. The report stated that the Indians’ social system did not and would not work with the conditions forced onto them. These findings were the basis for the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934. The IRA encouraged Tribes to organize their own governments and incorporate their trust land. This is how the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony was established.

At the turn of the century, many Numa and Washoe lived in the Reno-Sparks area, not only because this was the aboriginal lands for The People, but more and more Indians moved to the area to find jobs. The transition to colonies actually represented another adaptive strategy for the Indians. Often, The People not living on a reservation were considered “scattered or homeless.”

These Indians tried to maintain some of their old ways by building traditional homes, sometimes with modern materials, in camps in urban areas, often near the Truckee River.

In 1917, the federal government purchased 20 acres for $6,000 for non-reservation Indians of Nevada and for homeless Indians. This land is the core of the present-day Colony. Most of the land was not cultivatable, however the Indian Bureau dug irrigation ditches to provide some drinking water, but most of the Indians collected drinking water from a spring about a quarter of a mile away.

Initially, the Numa lived on the north side of the Colony, while the Washoe lived on the south side of Colony. The Reno-Sparks Indian Colony and all colonies received some governmental services and were most often considered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs to be under their jurisdiction. For example, the purchase of additional land in 1926 was part of an effort to improve the water supply for the Colony.

Plus, from 1920-1930, a nurse and a police officer, paid from federal government funds, were stationed at the Colony. Further, in 1938 the United States Supreme Court ruled that there was no distinction between a colony and a reservation which meant that the superintendence of the Colony fell to the federal government.

To that end, an additional 8.38 acres was added to the Colony in 1926. Purchased for about $4,000, this strip of land allowed for a day school. For many years, residents of the Colony sent their children to this local government operated school instead of a boarding school about 40 miles away.

However, the Colony school was closed in the early 1940s because the building was in such disrepair. The Indian children’s only option was to attend public school, but discrimination was rampant.

Mercifully, in 1945, Grace Warner, the principal of Orvis Ring School, invited the Indian student to attend her school. This arrangement which included busing the Colony students to Orvis Ring, lasted until 1975 when the public school system required the Indian students to attend the school closest in proximity to the Colony.

As permissible under the IRA, the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony established its first formal council in 1934.

On February 9, 1934 the elected council included three Paiutes—Cleveland Cypher, Thomas Ochiho, and George Hooten, and three Washoes—Willie Tondy, Jack Mahoney, and George McGinnis. Harry Sampson was selected Chairman of the Council.

In a letter to Nevada Senator Key Pitman, the new council supported the IRA, writing that the bill would be of lasting benefit to the progress of all Indians in the United States. Additionally, the new Colony leadership with input from Acting Bureau of Indian Affairs Superintendent John H. Holst, conducted a vote in which the IRA was overwhelmingly supported by the Colony residents.

Furthermore, five men— Sampson, Cypher, Mahoney, Tondy, and George Hunter worked on a constitution for the Colony. Additional assistance crafting the constitution came from George LaVatta, a Northern Shoshone from the Fort Hall Reservation who worked as a federal government field agent. The Colony’s constitution was adopted on December 16, 1935 and was approved by a vote of 51-1.

In 1936, the Colony tried to adopt a charter, but the BIA’s field superintendent, Alida Bowler, delayed submitting the paperwork to the federal government. Bowler did not believe all the signatures were authentic as many Colony members who could not write, had someone else sign his or her name. Bowler returned the petition with instructions to have person who could not write, make a cross or a thumbprint, but that action had to be witnessed by two other persons.

Adding to the confusion, most often charters enabled tribes to get credit which would assist the Indians with economic development. Bowler did not think the RSIC could get credit because it had no agricultural resources.

However, the Colony’s charter, which was approved on January 7, 1939, included plans for the tribe to establish a cooperating laundry, a store, a meat market, a gas station, arrangements for the raising of poultry, and a harness repair shop for individual Indian members who wanted to do business for themselves.

Also under Sampson’s leadership, the RSIC tried to take advantage of a provision in the IRA to purchase more land for the Colony. With input from E. M. Johnstone, a BIA land field agent, LaVatta, and Bowler, a proposal for the purchase of 1,080 acres between Highway 40 and the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks in the Truckee Canyon was submitted to the Commissioner of Indian Affairs on January 25, 1937.

Unfortunately, this land purchase never came to fruition as the federal government’s field agent, active agent, and superintendent, could not agree on how to proceed. While, the RSIC continued to build its sovereignty and explore economic opportunities for its members, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower changed the federal government’s policy toward American Indians and began the Termination Era.

To deal with the Indians nationwide, Eisenhower sought complete elimination of the U.S. government’s trust responsibility to the tribes. This meant that scores of tribes lost their federal benefits and support services, along with tribal jurisdiction over their lands.

All told, the Termination Era, which lasted from 1945 to 1968, eliminated 109 tribal governments and reservations. Fortunately, no tribes in Nevada were terminated.

Finally, in 1970, U.S. President Richard Nixon developed the latest national policy toward Indians, Tribal Self-Determination. Self-Determination gave autonomy to tribes by allowing the Indians to control their own affairs and be independent of federal oversight without being cut off from federal support.
———————————————————————————————————————–
Today, the RSIC has expanded its original land base to 15,292 acres with 1, 157 Tribal members. The Colony employs over 300 employees and more than half are The People.

The Tribe also maintains a tribal court system, a police force and a health clinic, and it provides full government services to its membership. The Tribe’s other governmental departments include administration, education, public works, human services, utility district, planning, prevention coalition, enrollment, human resources, economic development, recreation, finance, housing, and the chairman’s office.

Below is the Tribal government organizational chart:
ORG CHART- 08-14-2019


Recent comments (view all 16 comments)

Thank you for the speedy reply. I wish I could furnish the answers you request, but alas, I have forgotten &ndash if I ever knew them. I spent the summers and weekends at both drive-ins with my high school sweetie in &lsquo64. '65, and '66. In '64, I actually woked at the Rt. 303, Orangebyrg drive-in during the summer. The Nyack Drive-in, which may have technically been located in Blauvelt, followed the Rt. 303 Drive-in in opening, but I don&rsquot know when it actually opened or what the first movie shown was. It was located just south of Lake Oneora swimming club, also long gone now.

I did see a related website or &lsquoblog&rsquo about those drive-ins in classmates.com, somewhere- let me see if I can locate the URL before I close. Merci,
Tom Davis
p.s. try and copy and paste this url:
View link

Bill Fredericks of Pearl River NY was one of the main projectionists at the 303 Drive-In for many many years beginning in the 1950’s. (Not sure about the exact spelling of his name, might have been Frederick.) I was in the booth in the 1950&rsquos when I (and the booth) was quite young. I vividly remember that the Arc lamps were HUGE, you could just about crawl inside them. The projectors were Century’s according to my recollection. The Drive In was located off of Rt 303, within sight of the Palisades Interstate Parkway, and adjacent to the US Army Reserve Center.

While hiking in Buttermilk Falls County Park a couple of weeks ago, our group could clearly see the remains of a drive in that was right across the street from the park. This has to be the West Nyack theater that Tom Davis mentions? The screen is still up and you can see how the parking field radiates out from the screen. There&rsquos no marquee or anything on Route 303 so unless you climbed to the height that we did, you would not know it was there. Can anyone confirm this is the West Nyack Drive-in?

Never mind. I found it listed on this site. It&rsquos actually in Blauvelt. How could I ever think a movie theater could escape a mention on this site? My apologies. My God this site is thorough.

Above address is now incorrect. Now Organic Recycling, Inc. @ 121 New York 303. The entrance for this business is the same as the drive-in.

August 3rd, 1956 grand opening ad in photo section.

This was a huge single screen site, could&rsquove easily been twinned. Anyway it looks like the giant concession building still exists on the site.

According To The Journal News, The Route 303 Drive-In In Orangeburg Lasted For At Least 31 Years Until It Is Converted Into A Flea Market In 1987.

Its funny, I just noticed on the newest street view image they just removed the drive in wording on the road sign and hung a banner saying nursery.

Also opened with Walt Disney&rsquos &ldquoSardinia&rdquo. Closed in 1988. The snack bar is now used for a horticultural landscape center and the marquee used as a sign for the building. The rest of the site is now used as the town compost/recycling center.


Voir la vidéo: тест-драйв Renault 5 (Janvier 2022).